A judge will determine whether to prolong a restraining order filed by a man who claimed singer and actor Ricky Martin harassed him on Thursday when the pop icon appears in court in Puerto Rico. Martin has denied the accusation.
On July 2, Judge Raiza Cajigas granted the order following the man’s filing of a domestic abuse complaint in which he said he feared for his safety due to Martin’s resistance to the conclusion of a seven-month romantic connection.
The man claimed Martin had been calling and had stood outside his house.
“We’re attending to this issue with diligence, and we will be prepared in court on Thursday,” Joaquin Monserrate, one of Martin’s lawyers, said in a telephone interview.
The complaint has been filed as a civil matter, according to Monserrate, and Martin has not been charged criminally.
In compliance with laws pertaining to domestic abuse, the man’s name has not been made public.
On July 21, the restraining order is scheduled to end.
Martin, who gained notoriety in the 1990s with songs including “Livin’ La Vida Loca,” said on Twitter on July 3 that the injunction had been obtained on the basis of “totally bogus charges.” He added that he was unable to say further because the case was still pending.